Saturday 22 March 2014

Saturday brings us snake rings

Happy Saturday! I have a poorly boyfriend today, so instead of swanning around and eating brunch, we are relaxing in front of the TV. This means, of course, that I can write a lovely post on one of my favourite ring designs... snake rings! 

Snakes... according to Wikipedia, the snake [or serpent] is one of the oldest and most widespread mythological symbols. They represent dual expression of good and evil. They are also used as fertility symbols in many cultures; the shedding of their skin is symbolic of rebirth, healing, etc. Snakes have also been used as guardians of sacred spaces such as temples. They also have their place in the history of medicine and are associated with healing, immortality, and poison [obviously]. Here's one that we all know about - snakes are connected with vengefulness and vindictiveness. 

The Victorians loved the symbol of the serpent and snake jewellery really took off when Queen Victoria was proposed to with a snake ring. Her ring featured two snakes entwined with an emerald. Sadly this ring was never photographed and she was buried with it, so we can only guess at what it looked like. The popularity of 'snake jewellery' peaked in the 1840s, and became popular again during the Art Nouveau period. 

I won't go on, however much I'd love to [because it's so very fascinating], but if you're interested in this sort of thing have a look on Google, there's lots to read. 

This is what you're really here for [I guess]... some of my favourite snake rings. 

Two-headed snake ring by Erica Weiner $400 - $675  

From EW's 1909 collection, this two-headed snake ring is the right combination of snake and delicate. It comes in yellow gold and with no stones, red diamond eyes, or white diamond eyes [see price ranges at the beginning]. Perfection in a snake ring! 


Vintage snake ring by Zara Taylor £12

Sadly this beauty is made from brass, hence the price tag, but it has such wonderful detailing that I couldn't leave it out. 

Snake ring by Momocreatura £187

This ring is not currently available from Momocreatura, but it is in stock at Boticca [I've never purchased from here]. I couldn't leave it out because it's rather special. It comes with different coloured eyes and doesn't it look ah-mazing stacked?? 



Gold and white sapphire snake ring by Julia Failey £296.50

I just saw this one when I was looking at the Momocreatura ring so it's a bit of a cheat entry because it isn't one I've had my eye on previously, but with those white sapphire eyes I couldn't not add him into the list. 


This is one of my all-time favourites. I love the way the tail is in the mouth and the softness of the metal make it look very modern and wearable. 


Twisted snake by Makri £currently unavailable 

This ring by Makri is a work of art. I'll show you the front and the back because it's intricate and beautiful. 18k pink gold with white diamonds and rubies. I HEART this ring. 




Victorian 14k gold persian turquoise snake ring Vintage $645 

A real-life Victorian ring - oh my! 


Snake ring by Grace Lee Designs $385 

I love how delicate this one is, it'd be perfect for stacking and great for every-day wear. Once again this one has diamond eyes. A popular feature of the snake ring. 


Serpent ring by Pamela Love $1,300 

This one is a little more of a luxury item at that price, but it's stunning. Seriously, look at that tri-stack! Swoooon. 



Anyway, there you have it - Snake rings! I hope you see something you like and if you have some snake-inspired rings, or any snake jewellery, please comment and let me know! 

Thanks for reading, 

L. x

No comments:

Post a Comment